Hundreds of household brands and major advertising companies use Kobler as their preferred contextual advertising platform. At the heart of this is our bidding system which participates in real time auctions whenever someone reads an article online in Norway and Sweden. This translates to thousands of requests every second with strict performance and uptime requirements.
You will be joining the team responsible for developing and maintaining this system, perhaps the most critical part of our platform. The traffic volume it is handling is already high, but we have ambitious goals and are aiming to handle much more traffic in the next few years. This is a fun domain if you enjoy technical challenges - how do we best identify the most relevant contextual campaigns targeting the content of the article, identify where and how much we want to bid, while still trying to respond within a few milliseconds?
In addition to the bidding system, the team is also responsible for other related areas, such as:
- Campaign targeting - how to best match the content of articles to the keyword based targeting our customers set up
- Campaign budgeting - predicting the news landscape so that we can hit our customer’s budgets in a smart way
- Real time analytics - giving our customers transparent insight into exactly where their ads are being placed
All of our backend systems, including the bidding platform, use the following stack:
- AWS ECS
- 100% automated CI/CD (Docker, CircleCI)
We think you might have
- experience with high performance languages such as C++, Java or Rust
- experience building distributed, highly concurrent systems
- strong knowledge of databases and how to make them fly
- a deep enjoyment of shaving milliseconds off a P99
It is a plus if you have experience with:
- event streaming platforms, such as Kafka or Pulsar
- high performance distributed caches, such as Redis or Memcached
- CI/CD and DevOps
- agile development methodologies
While all of our backend systems are JVM-based, JVM platform knowledge is not a hard requirement. If you do not have JVM experience but you do not mind learning a new platform, do not hesitate to apply.
Personal qualities and skills
We are looking for a motivated and solution-oriented person who enjoys hard technical problems. You are a team player and your English communication skills are excellent. It is a bonus if you are curious and keep an eye on new technologies and standards.
Workplace and work permit
The development team is located in downtown Oslo. You must have a valid work permit for Norway. For exceptionally strong candidates who cannot relocate, we may consider remote work.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free to contact Karim Ghouas (CTO) on 99271034 for any questions.